The major goals of the program are:
- To prepare students for entry into the public health, community health, and health service related fields.
- To ensure that graduates are knowledgeable regarding program development, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- To ensure that graduates have internalized positive attitudes and values toward the mission and goals of health and public health fields.
Health and Public Health majors are eligible to apply for an internship if they have:
- Completed all degree requirements of the major and support work.
- A minimum UTSA GPA of 2.5.
- For the fall and spring semesters interns need to be within 13 hours of graduation including the 6 hours of the internship. During the summer semester, interns need only HTH 4936 and HTH 4921 (if required for their degree).
Academic Year 2020-21 Public Health Internship Information
The internship provides valuable real-world, degree-related experience that can assist with decisions about interest, career paths and graduate school. While we strongly encourage students to secure an internship, the Department of Public Health realizes the challenges of the current situation. As a result, all Health and Public Health students who are expected to graduate in Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 will have the option to substitute two (2) 3-credit courses to replace the 6-credit internship course HTH 4936.
For Spring 2021, Health and Public Health students can take any two of the following courses that are not already needed for their degree plan.
HTH 3543 Growth and Development
HTH 3533 Drugs and Health
HTH 3553 Emotional Wellbeing
HTH 4513 Consumer Health
HTH 4523 Understanding Human Sexuality
HTH 4953 Special Studies in Health: Contact Tracing and Epidemiological Methods related to COVID-19
PUB 4043 Global Health
PUB 4053 Health Care System
KIN 3103 Motor Development
KIN 3113 Scientific Principles of Physical Activity
KIN 3413 Instruction of Sports and Games
KIN 4023 Exercise Psychology
PSY 4253 Psychology of Health
SOC 3203 Gerontology/Aging in Society
SOC 3213 Medical Sociology
SOC 3283 Poverty
SOC 3323 Introduction to Social Research
SOC 4023 Violence and Society
SOC 4683 Health Disparities
COM 3293 Intro to Health Communication
For students choosing the two course substitution, please note these guidelines:
- Courses must be taken during your final semester at UTSA.
- Previously taken courses will NOT be substituted for the internship class.
- If there are prerequisite courses that you have not taken, you will need to obtain permission from the instructor and department chair to enroll in those courses.
- Once you have registered for your two courses, please email your advisor so they can adjust your degree plan. In this email indicate if you need HTH 4921 and copy PublicHealth.Internship@utsa.edu so the department is aware of your decision and can register you for HTH 4921 if needed.
- The above list of classes is a tentative list for Spring 2021. Once the spring 2021 schedule is finalized, the list will be updated. The course listing for Summer 2021 will be posted after the summer schedule is available.
For students who want to complete an internship during Spring 2021, you will need to:
Frequently Asked Questions
- Review the PowerPoint lectures and Internship Manual below
- NOTE THESE CHANGES:
- Only remote internships are permitted for the academic year 2020-21; if the site cannot host you remotely, you cannot complete and internship with that agency
- Because internships must be remote, a minimum of 200 hours is requred.
- Secure an internship site from the list on this page
- Once a site is secured, complete the online Internship Overview Form and upload it with your signed Internship Site Guidelines Form and Remote Internship Plan Form at the website listed below
- The deadline for internship paperwork is before 12noon December 1, 2020
Key Internship Documents
2020 Public Health Internship Process
Remote Internship Plan Form
Internship Guidelines Form
Professionalism in Your Internship
Deadline: Spring 2021 internship paperwork must be submitted by 12noon December 1, 2020
All internship paperwork should be submitted here: https://utsa.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2sg1aqs8eiNeRlH