Research conducted at the UTSA Department of Psychology spans all of the major areas of experimental psychology.
Faculty research interests are listed below.
Brian E. Armenta, Ph.D.
Michael Baumann, Ph.D.
- Groups, teams, and multiteam systems
- Perceiving & leveraging expertise
- Social / workplace factors in substance use
- Workplace attitudes towards women
James H. Bray, Ph.D.
- Family Psychology & Health
- Adolescent Substance Use
- Primary Care Psychology
Denver Brown, Ph.D.
- Exercise Psychology & Behavioral Medicine
- Time Use Epidemiology
- Physical Activity Determinants
- Movement Behaviors and Health
Thomas Coyle, Ph.D.
- Mental Ability, Intelligence, & IQ
- Brain Aging & Cerebral Health Markers
- Academic Aptitude Test (SAT and ACT)
Ephrem Fernandez, Ph.D.
- Affect Science
- Anger Assessment & Treatment
Edward Golob, Ph.D.
- Spatial Cognition
- Attention and Working Memory
- Perception and Action
- Age-related Neurological Disorders
Willie Hale, Ph.D.
- Interpersonal Perception
- Belongingness & Authenticity
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Ryan Hill, Ph.D.
- Suicide prevention
- Mental health
- Adolescent and emerging adult well-being
Joseph W. Houpt
- Cognitive Psychology and Quantitative Methods
- Cognitive Modeling
- Intersections between AI and Psychology, Visual Perception, Decision Making
Monica Lawson, Ph.D.
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Development
- Child Maltreatment
Itamar Lerner, Ph.D.
- Cognitive & Computational Neuroscience of Memory & Learning
- Sleep Effects on Cognition & Emotion
Stella Lopez, Ph.D.
- Social Perception
- Social Interaction
- Academic Success
Mary McNaughton-Cassill, Ph.D.
- Veteran Students’ Success
- College Student Adjustment
- Stress and Coping in the Modern World
Alan Meca, Ph.D.
- Identity development across a variety of domains (e.g., ethnic/racial identity, military identity, etc)
- Cultural Identity Development among ethnic/racial minorities
- Acculturation and cultural stress among immigrant populations
Sandra B. Morissette, Ph.D.
- Military Health
- Post-deployment Functional Recovery
- Trauma, Anxiety and Addictive Behaviors
- Smoking Cessation
Augustine Osman, Ph.D.
- Test Construction & Validation
- Risk & Protective Factors for Mental Health
- Applied Behavior Analysis
David R. Pillow, Ph.D.
- Attitudes About ADHD & Medication
- Self & Other Perception
- Quantitative Methods
Shelby Scott, Ph.D.
- Couple & Family Psychology
- Health Disparities
- LGBTQ Populations
Alicia Swan, Ph.D.
- Functional Outcomes After Traumatic Brain Injury
Rebecca Weston, Ph.D.
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Quantitative Methods
Tina Zawacki, Ph.D.
- Alcohol’s Role in HIV-Related Risk Taking
- Health Disparities Regarding HIV & Sexual Violence
- Sexual Assault