Research conducted at the UTSA Department of Psychology spans all of the major areas of experimental psychology.
Faculty research interests are listed below.
Brian E. Armenta, Ph.D.
Michael Baumann, Ph.D.
James H. Bray, Ph.D.
- Family Psychology & Health
- Adolescent Substance Use
- Primary Care Psychology
Denver Brown, Ph.D.
- Exercise Psychology & Behavioral Medicine
- Time Use Epidemiology
- Physical Activity Determinants
- Movement Behaviors and Health
Thomas Coyle, Ph.D.
- Mental Ability, Intelligence, & IQ
- Brain Aging & Cerebral Health Markers
- Academic Aptitude Test (SAT and ACT)
Ephrem Fernandez, Ph.D.
- Affect Science
- Anger Assessment & Treatment
Edward Golob, Ph.D.
- Spatial Cognition
- Attention and Working Memory
- Perception and Action
- Age-related Neurological Disorders
Willie Hale, Ph.D.
- Interpersonal Perception
- Belongingness & Authenticity
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Ryan Hill, Ph.D.
- Suicide prevention
- Mental health
- Adolescent and emerging adult well-being
Joseph W. Houpt
- Cognitive Psychology and Quantitative Methods
- Cognitive Modeling
- Intersections between AI and Psychology, Visual Perception, Decision Making
Monica Lawson, Ph.D.
- Cognitive & Socioemotional Development
- Child Maltreatment
Itamar Lerner, Ph.D.
- Cognitive & Computational Neuroscience of Memory & Learning
- Sleep Effects on Cognition & Emotion
Stella Lopez, Ph.D.
- Social Perception
- Social Interaction
- Academic Success
Mary McNaughton-Cassill, Ph.D.
- Veteran Students’ Success
- College Student Adjustment
- Stress and Coping in the Modern World
Alan Meca, Ph.D.
- Identity development across a variety of domains (e.g., ethnic/racial identity, military identity, etc)
- Cultural Identity Development among ethnic/racial minorities
- Acculturation and cultural stress among immigrant populations
Sandra B. Morissette, Ph.D.
- Military Health
- Post-deployment Functional Recovery
- Trauma, Anxiety and Addictive Behaviors
- Smoking Cessation
Augustine Osman, Ph.D.
- Test Construction & Validation
- Risk & Protective Factors for Mental Health
- Applied Behavior Analysis
David R. Pillow, Ph.D.
- Attitudes About ADHD & Medication
- Self & Other Perception
- Quantitative Methods
Shelby Scott, Ph.D.
- Couple & Family Psychology
- Health Disparities
- LGBTQ Populations
Alicia Swan, Ph.D.
- Functional Outcomes After Traumatic Brain Injury
Rebecca Weston, Ph.D.
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Quantitative Methods
Tina Zawacki, Ph.D.
- Alcohol’s Role in HIV-Related Risk Taking
- Health Disparities Regarding HIV & Sexual Violence
- Sexual Assault